15 Measured Snacks That Are Healthy and Satisfying
What’s a hungry tummy to do when most vending machines are stocked full of junk food?
With a bit of pre-planning it is possible to replace those snacks with foods that will nourish the body and satisfy.
Here is a visual guide to a selection of healthy snacks – and remember – healthy eating is not just about the number of calories.
- Serving shown: 20 almonds
- Calories: 139
Raw Mixed Nuts
- Serving shown: 30g / ~1oz
- Calories: 178
- Serving shown: 40g / 1.4oz
- Calories: 97
Note: Dried fruits are more calorie dense (per weight) than fresh fruit – and are easier to overeat.
- Serving shown: 180g, 1 medium & 1 small.
- Calories: 95
Note: Great packaging. Small portions. Seasonal
- Serving shown: 185g / 6.5oz
- Calories: 96
- Serving shown: 1 medium banana – 118g
- Calories: 105
Note: Nicely prepackaged.
- Serving shown: 215g / 7.6oz
- Calories: 148
- Serving shown: 85g / 3oz
- Calories: 99
Note: Be wary of tuna in oil – many of the oils are vegetable oils (high in omega-6 rather than omega-3 EFA’s).
- Serving shown: 25g / .9oz
- Calories: 72
Note: Find in bulk bins – often with different seasonings.
- Serving shown: 2 cups
- Calories: 62 (air-popped)
- Calories: 110 (oil-popped)
- No condiments added.
Note: Avoid pre-packaged popcorn (often contains trans fat).
- Serving shown: 170g / 6oz
- Calories: 60
Note: Convenient – can buy pre-washed and pre-bagged.
Celery & Hummus
- Serving shown: 40g / 1.4oz hummus
- Calories: 108
Note: Save time and buy celery pre-cut and pre-washed. Goes well with many other dips.
- Serving shown: 150g / 1 Cup
- Calories: 27
Whole-grain Crispbread with Cottage Cheese
- Serving shown: 1 cracker + ~45g (1.5oz) cottage cheese (light)
- Calories: 70
Note: Aim for crispbreads or crackers that are completely whole grain and have a minimal amount of oil.
- 80g / 2.8oz
- Calories: 90
Functional Fresh Fruit
All fresh fruits are great – however many have a very short season for their freshest version (berries, peaches, nectarines) and others can be a bit too messy if you are at work (grapefruit, oranges, melon).
It’s Not Just About Calories
- Some snacks may be low in calories, but lack in other essential nutrients.
- Some snacks do nothing to satisfy the appetite.
- Some snacks are full of empty calories.
What’s the point in saving 20 calories just to be gnawingly hungry 15 minutes later? No vending machine will be safe from you if you don’t choose your snacks wisely. Quality is much better than quantity when snacking is concerned.
Not Everyone Needs to Snack
For some people – three square meals works fine. So, don’t snack unless you really need to.
But, snacking is a great way to maintain even energy levels and manage hunger and prevent binge eating.
Snacking is also habit forming. Switch out bad food choices for good ones – and before you know it – your 3 daily pilgrimages to the vending machine or coffee shop will be a thing of the past.
What are your favorite satisfying healthy snacks?
Need More Ideas?
- 7 Healthy Lunches in 10 Minutes or Less
- 10 Quick Snacks for Around 200 Calories
- A Visual Guide to 300 Calorie Meals?
NOTE: All items were carefully weighed and measured. Calorie amounts came from the USDA nutrient database or from labels.