7 Healthy Macro Lunches in 10 Minutes or Less
Many feel that they just don’t have time to eat healthy, especially at lunchtime.
It’s just so easy to pop down to the corner deli or fast food restaurant and grab something quick during a busy day at work.
Or, to just opt for that boring cold-cut sandwich, that does little to nourish your body the way it needs to be.
My top 7 easy and nutritious macro-based lunches that can be prepared in about 10 minutes for around 400 calories or less.
1. Smoothie Disguised as a Lunch
This is one of my typical quick lunches. It’s quick, nutritious, and delicious.
- 1 medium frozen very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 3-4 leaves of lacinato kale (de-stemmed = no gas)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- About 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain kefir
In a small blender cup (I use a Ninja) place the almonds and half of the water. Blend until almonds are a creamy texture.
Add banana, blueberries, kale, cinnamon, kefir and the remainder of the water and blend until kale is finally ground and the smoothie is uniform. (About 30 seconds in the Ninja.)
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 416
Macros: Carbs- 54.1g, Protein- 17g, Fat- 21.3g, Fiber- 10.3g, Sodium- 61mg.
2. The Lunch Disguised as a Fruit
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 8 Kashi Heart to Heart Whole Grain crackers.
Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Spoon the avocado on the crackers and enjoy!
Variation: Add a drop of hot sauce or Sriracha to each cracker.
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 364
Macros: Carbs- 37g, Fiber- 13.8g, Protein- 6.1g, Fat- 25g, Sodium- 108mg
Don’t let the fat in avocado scare you, it’s good for you!
3. Delicious Wraps Minus the Grains and Carbs
- 1 can white tuna drained (4 oz. of tuna)
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Mix the tuna, yogurt, and lemon pepper seasoning together. Divide among the three lettuce leaves. Top with sprouts and pumpkin seeds. Fold lettuce over and eat like a wrap.
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 290
Macros: Carbs- 7.2g, Fiber- 2.5g, Protein- 37.9g, Fat- 11.9g, Sodium- 652mg
4. Meat-free Protein Rich Salad
- 3 cups spring salad mix
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 3 mini sweet peppers sliced
- 1 cup pre-shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 an avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Roasted Garlic Salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Place pre-washed salad mix, pre-shredded red cabbage, and other vegetables in a bowl. Garnish with the chic peas. Mix the yogurt, garlic salt, and lemon juice well and then drizzle on top of the salad. Enjoy!
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 357
Macros: Carbs- 42.1g, Fiber- 13.5g, Protein- 23.4g, Fat- 13g, Sodium- 779mg
5. Quick Fish Tacos for One
- 1 Swai Fillet (or other white fish) cut into cubes (It’s easier to cut if still semi-frozen)
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup pre-shredded red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 corn tortillas
- Hot sauce, lime juice, and/or cilantro to taste.
Thaw fish fillet in the microwave for about 35 seconds. Cut fish into cubes, slice half an onion, and slice the pepper into strips. Place all three in a medium heated nonstick skillet with the olive oil and seasonings.
Cook for about 8 minutes stirring often. While cooking spread yogurt in the middle of the 3 tortillas. Once cooked; divide fish, onions, and peppers on the 3 tortillas, top with cabbage, hot sauce, cilantro, and lime. Enjoy!
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 381,
Macros: Carbs- 45.9g, Fiber- 9g, Protein- 24.8g, Fat- 13.1g, Sodium- 541mg
6. Hummus, Veggies, and An Apple.
- 1/2 cup quality prepared hummus (made with olive oil)
- 2 cups veggie sticks (celery, peppers, carrots, broccoli etc.)
- 1 medium apple
Buy a quality prepared hummus in the flavor of your choice. Buy a bag of pre-washed raw veggies or cut your own ahead of time. Use the hummus as a veggie dip. Eat the apple separately.
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 355
Macros: Carbs- 59g, Fiber- 10.7g, Protein- 8.1g, Fat- 13g, Sodium- 787mg
7. Pollo Asada Lunch Burrito
- 1 medium low-carb high-fiber tortilla
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 3 ounces precooked chicken breast strips
- 1/2 an avocado sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon chili lime seasoning
- 2 tablespoon salsa of choice
In a small nonstick skillet heat the chicken strips and black beans along with the chili lime seasoning. Heat the tortilla slightly and then add the hot chicken and beans, the avocado, the salsa, and the spinach. Roll the burrito by tucking in both ends first. Enjoy!
Basic Nutrition: Calories- 402
Macros: Carbs- 43g, Fiber- 20.9g, Protein- 34.6g, Fat- 14.7g, Sodium- 883mg
I realize that many people don’t have jobs that allow them to cook, but most of these can be prepared ahead of time and just reheated at lunchtime when counting your macros.
Some of these quick lunch ideas may have too much sodium for those on a sodium restricted diet. This can be adjusted by cooking a batch of fresh chicken ahead of time on the weekends or making your own hummus to use during the week.
Anytime we rely on convenience, pre-packaged foods, we also up the our sodium intake.
I used Calorieking.com to calculate my nutritional information, so these amounts could vary depending on specific brands chosen.
Accelerate Your Diet and Fitness Goals with My Macro Solution System
Step-by-step self-guided program -or- fully customized personal macros coaching. Feel exhilarated as you conquer your goals!