Calculate your optimal macronutrient ratios based on your age, height, weight, gender, and activity level. Use your results with macro counting, flexible dieting, or IIFYM to lose weight, maintain, or gain muscle.

Need Help? Join over 6,000 clients achieving lifechanging results with our new program - The Macro Solution

Each of the foods we eat are made up of three “macros” (macronutrients). These macros are carbohydrate (carbs), protein, and fat. Chicken is high in the protein macro, but has no carbs. Rice is high in carbs, but very little fat or protein.

This calculator tells you the best ratio of macros that you should eat to achieve your goals. From there, you need to determine the macros of all the foods you eat. By counting them each day, you can reach a target that leads to fat loss.

You don’t need to make radical shifts in your diet, nor deprive yourself from your favorite foods. Just make sure you are within your macro counts for each day, and you’re good to go!

If you need help, we publish some extensive guides here.

How Do You Calculate the Macros?

1. Protein ratio is set at .825 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Setting protein to Low adjusts the ratio to .65 grams per pound of body weight. Higher will set to 1 gram / lb.

Higher protein levels may be helpful if you have a strength training component in your exercise routine. There are many differing opinions about this.

Try starting at the Normal level. If however you do a lot of lifting (3 times a week or more), then set to the High level.

By default, the results are for maintaining weight. Select either lose or gain if you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. These are good starting points, but you may have to play around with your macros until you find your personal goal-reaching sweet spot. You can then count macros until you reach your desired goal.

You also need to determine how many calories you are burning: For this use an exercise database or a good app like MapMyFitness or a device like FitBit.

If you need some inspiration, check out these incredible transformation stories of from people who used counting macros to reach their goals.

1. Laszlo Tsd 7 months ago

Hi there ! Im a 6 ft, 168 lbs, 22 years old guy. The deal is: I do boxing 2 times a week, Muay Thai 1-2 times a week, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 2 times a week. I have no idea how many calories these activities burn. Boxing usually last 90 minutes, I have elevated heart rate as I challenge myself and trying to do my best.
    Muay Thai lasts 2 hours, same as boxing.
    Obviosuly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu doesn’t use the same cardio level as boxing and Muay Thai, but it still challenges your body due to the core strength activities.
    How could I measure the burned calories ? I should eat about 1600-1900 calories daily (based on multiple calculators) without the exercises to lose weight (as I’m cutting), but it’s still hard to figure out the exact number. Thanks for the help.

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Hi Laszio, It seems like you would be at least very active on days you exercise.

2. Louise Hurst 7 months ago

Hey, Im 55kg. 63cm tall and body fat of 19.1%. I go to crossfit 4 to 5 times a week. Sessions are one hour long and are a mix of cardio, weights and gym. Ive set my activity levels to very active with high protein. My goal is lose 3-5% more body fat. Is this correct?

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Hi Louise, One hour of CF is a bit borderline depending on how intense your WOD is. You could start with very active and see how it goes, but if you aren’t losing fat you may have to cut back to moderately active in a couple of weeks.

3. Nick James 7 months ago

Hi Ted, I’m struggling to determine my macros due to activity levels being drastically different day to day.
    Monday and Friday are rest days…
    Tuesday is 2hr swim squad training…
    Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday gym 1hr swim squad 1hr…
    Thursday gym 1hr swim squad 1.5hrs…
    Due to this I’m confused on what I should set activity level at. Thanks for any help in advance.

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Hey Nick, for someone like you I recommend the fluid approach. This means you use your sedentary macros as a base and then track your exercise. Your tracking app will adjust your macros based on how much activity to do. With this method, you will need to cap your protein on big days, but it fuels your body more specifically. I show you how to set it up in myfitnesspal here.

4. Nancy 7 months ago

Hi,i need help. So basically I’m 5’4 & I weigh about 150. I’m trying to lose weight & I work out 7 days a week. So 5 days cardio and 2 days weights. I picked lightly active b/c I’m not sure how accurate my Apple Watch is so I don’t know how many calories I’m burning when I workout. Anyways my macros are carbs 170 G protein 124 g and fat is 43 g. Does that seem right? Usually when I use othe macro calculators, i get 150 p,131 c & 51 f. Am I doing something like wrong? Thanks for th help

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Hi Nancy, How long are your workout sessions? You may be moderate on workout days. Other calculators use different default ratios and most are within an acceptable range. However, I would say that 150 g of protein is a bit too much for you because it should be based on your lean muscle mass, not just body weight. Looks like the other calculator is giving you 1 gram per pound. This is why our default is around .8 because we are accounting for additional fat tissue weight.

• Nancy 7 months ago

Hi, thanks for the response. I workout everyday for an hour. So should I be moderate for my workouts? Also , does 170 g of carbs seem right?

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Yes, I would say moderately active and yes, 170g carbs on workout days seems right. Make sure you get a nice dose of them before your workout.

5. Carlee 7 months ago

Hi, just wondering about the macro portions – I’ve been reading different things and it has all become a bit overwhelming (hard enough learning how to coin your macros let alone unsure if you’re actually eating the correct amounts) im not overweight but want to lose 4/5kg of fat and lean up again. I selected the lose 10% option and just worried that carbs is too high (50%). I really want to focus on getting rid of that stubborn fat and don’t want to lose any muscle from training so just worried its a little high?

• Ted Kallmyer 7 months ago

Hi Carlee, Did you select high protein? 50% is a tad high unless you are a runner or are on the very active side of the exercise spectrum.

• Carlee 7 months ago

Hi Ted, tha ks for your reply. That was on normal protein. If it helps my current weight is 75kg, height 183cm abd i selected moderately active. My job im constantly on my feet and i train approximately 3 times/week. Protein came up as 24.6%, fats 25% and carbs 50.4%. This just doesn’t seem right to me. Also, If i select high protein it only adjusts carbs to 45.2% which still seems high to me.

6. Shawn Philips 8 months ago

I am trying to determine macro values for high carb/low carb days during carb cycling

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Shawn, With flexible dieting, your high carb days should be on your exercise days and lower carb days should be on your rest days. Eat carbs when your body needs them. This is a more natural approach. I’ve written a more detailed article here about carb cycling and flexible dieting.

7. Eileen 8 months ago

Everything I have been reading lately recommends high fat, low carb, moderate protein for weight loss….then I put my info into the calculator and it’s telling me 46% carbs?!!! I’m really concerned, I must say, that I will blow up like a balloon. I’m 44 and want to lose about 8 pounds (I’m 5’2″ and 130). I averae 12000 steps per day and usually exercixse 3-4 times per week…nothing crazy, either a 35 minute video at home of some weight machines and 20 min of cardio at the gym. Thoughts?

• Rebekah Lopez 8 months ago

Same for me. Carbs are through the roof on calculator. Why is this? Was trying to use it as a tool

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Rebekah, If you are coming from a low carb type of eating mentality then carbs may seem high, but in reality, the calculator gives a moderate proportion of carbohydrates. Don’t be afraid of carbs. They do not cause weight gain in relation to one’s TDEE. This page gives a breakdown of how calculations are made.

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Eileen, Flexible dieting doesn’t advocate the need for low carbs, in fact, has proven the opposite. You can eat normal ratios of food and reach your goals. Give this article a read, which will help you understand the concept and the science behind it.

8. Taf 8 months ago

In the body fat % section do I input my goal or what I currently am ? Thanks in advance .

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Taf, You use your current body fat percentage.

9. Joseph 8 months ago

I’d really appreciate a little guidance.
    I’m 6ft , 255lbs. My maintenance was around 2,400 at sedentary. I’m eating 2,000. I work 3 times a day where I walk 8k – 10k steps so i’d estimate I at least burn 500 calories a day because of my weight and size. I also workout 3 times at least an hour my fitbit says i burn around 500 calories. I do heavy lifting and run 2 miles at 20 ish minutes. Every day I’m either working or at the gym. So with my deficit 500 cal and 500 work/gym, im burning 1000 calories a day times 7. So in a week I should be burning 2 lbs? 7000 – 3500.

Sorry the reason i’m asking is because I’ve hit a plateau I was 300 lbs, and started eating 2000 calories and stuck to that number.

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Joseph. It seems like you are in too much of a deficit on the days you work out. This can cause plateau since your body starts to conserve its resources. Also, I think you are over-estimating your calorie burn a tad. Casual steps like you described burn very little and FitBit over-estimates this. So all that to say, I don’t think you are calculating your weight loss TDEE and macros correctly which is why your results have stalled.

10. Riley 8 months ago

So I live a pretty active life style I would like to say. I workout every morning at 5 am for an hour- hour in a half, and than I’m a full time med student & here and there work at a restaurant where I’m averaging 18000-20k steps a day. . During the my regular routin day I sit in classes, but I always according to my fit bit average about 12-15000 steps a day and burn around 2100-2300 calories a day. When I type in my goals, I just wanna lose another 2-3 pounds but shed more body fat I get real low numbers and I’m not sure if it’s rignt cause I’m always still feeling hungry & lacking energy. Every time I try macro calculators I get such different numbers, I wanna kno what I truly need to be healthy. I’m 25 & weigh 128-129 and I’m 5-4. Looking for some help and advice thank you

• Ted Kallmyer 8 months ago

Hi Riley, First of all, it’s important to note that FitBit over-estimates your calorie burn from casual steps so you aren’t burning as much as you think. You should probably do very active, high protein, and lose 10. This will allow you to lose those couple of pounds slowly and help with hunger. If you want me to calculate things for you, I can do so with one of our coaching plans here.

11. Soms 9 months ago

Macro calculator is not working. Tried many times., showing error in height section. I have tried entering in cm and inches both.

Could you let us know what browser you are using, and exactly what you are typing into the height field?

• Aireona Thompson 9 months ago

The height is not working for me either. Tried over 10 times. I’m putting in 5’1” or 5.1 inches, I even tried typing it in words. What should I put in?

• Ted Kallmyer 9 months ago

You have to convert it to inches. 5’1″ or 5.1 feet converts to 61 inches.

Height has now been changed to handle both feet & inches, or centimeters.

12. Soms 9 months ago

Hi, i weigh 54.2kgs (female), height 4.12-5 inches. I have all the fat near belly and the sides of the stomach. I want to gain proper metabolism which i lack also loose that fat near stomach area. What would you recommend?

13. Sherry 9 months ago

I did the macro calculater for moderate activity … i do two HiTT classes a week , one spin class plus a weight class .. on those work out days should I increase my macros ?
    Also do I have high days / refeed days ??

• Ted Kallmyer 9 months ago

Hi Sherry, you already set the calculator to Moderate activity which already accounts for the exercise you described. I’m not sure what your goals are but looking at the exercise you’ve described refeed days wouldn’t be necessary.

• Sherry 9 months ago

Thank you for your responds . I started flexible dieting about a year ago and love love love it !!! I lost 18 inches and 15 pounds in that time . I’m leaving for my winter holiday in feb for a couple of months and would love to lose another 8-10 pounds , and of course tone some more .
        I so know that if you don’t eat enough while working out you can in turn gain weight . It’s all about balance .!
        Flexible dieting lets me eat healthy plus I still get to eat some of the same foods I like .

• Ted Kallmyer 9 months ago

Great to hear and awesome job! It can be productive to have at least a day or 2 a month where you take a break and eat more than you normally would. It can keep the body from getting too comfortable with the same macros day in and day out. I personally vary my macros based on how active I am on a particular day and use sedentary on days I do no exercise.

14. Emily 9 months ago

Hello! I want to get off Keto but I’m afraid of gaining all the weight back. I don’t plan on eating unhealthy and want to have a well balanced diet that I can maintain for the rest of my life. The macro calculator suggests 25% fat , 40 % carbs, and 35% protein. Do you think I should follow these macros ? I’m scared that my 6 months of progress will go to waste.

• Ted Kallmyer 9 months ago

Hi Emily, It will be mostly about how many calories you are consuming. Why don’t you start with Lose 10 which will put you in a 10% deficit. See how your body responds and then move to your maintenance macros if everything looks good.

15. Ashley 10 months ago

Hi Ted!

I was wondering if you were familiar with the Beachbody programs…I recently subscribed and love the variety I found. Starting today I committed to cleaning up the diet a little bit more (minus the 72% dark chocolate and Peanut Butter) BUT I also committed to the 21 Day Fix program, but instead of just doing that program I decided to add in another cardio video like the Country Heat or the Rockin’ Body dance videos to round out my hour long morning workout. What is the best way to estimate calorie burn in order to determine macros? Thanks!

• Ashley 10 months ago

I also tend to be a fairly active person in general, although I just started law school so it’ll be more like the life of a desk job except I take the stairs ALWAYS and i’ll go for short 5-10 minute walks every so often. I also eat a fairly healthy diet already but there are some things i’d like to clean up and focus on. The last time I was on the scale about 3 weeks ago I was 111 at a doctors appointment for a stress fracture, but I don’t know how much I weigh now, is it safer to err on the side of caution and input 115?

• Ted Kallmyer 10 months ago

Hi Ashley, I would start with moderately active and then adjust from there if you are losing too rapidly or not gaining etc. Not sure what your goals are.

• Ashley 10 months ago

I am trying to tone up/build muscle and lean out…I suppose you could consider me in the “skinny fat” phase of the process.

16. Nataly Valenzuela 11 months ago

How does carb cycling work with macro counting? Meaning if I go to the macro calculator and figure out my macros, how do I then adjust them for high carb and low carb days?? Thanks so much!

• Ted 11 months ago

Hi Nataly, Please check out this article: https://healthyeater.com/carb-cycling-flexible-dieting

• Leticia 9 months ago

Hi Natalie, personally what I do is use the numbers given by the calculator as an average calorie intake for the week, then adjust the macros in high and low carb days ina way that the average for the week will be the same. Hope that makes sense. Cheers

17. Ralph 11 months ago

Hi I’m 17 year old male 165lbs pretty muscular but need to loose some belly fat to show my abs what would you reccomemd me doing I train 6 times a week thanks

• Ralph 11 months ago

Trying to really shred myself basically just

• Ted 11 months ago

Hi Ralph, You’ll need to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat, but you don’t want to sacrifice all the hard work you’ve put in building the muscle. You should start with the “lose 10” setting when using the calculator. Also chose the high protein setting. That should get you started in the right direction.

18. Raf 11 months ago

I’m a female and I’m currently 17 years old. I am about 5’3″ and weigh 108 pounds. Although that is slightly underweight for my height, I am not happy with the way I look. I used to lift 4-5 times a week and was fit and toned with a lower body weight (100-103 lbs) and I was satisfied with how I looked but I wanted to gain more muscle mass. Instead, I wasn’t able to maintain my weight and I stopped going to the gym and ate unhealthy. Now I’m currently 108 pounds and I’ve gained extra fat on my cheeks and overall face, my arms became flabbier, my abs are not toned anymore and I gained thigh fat. My goal is to gain more muscle mass and start weight lifting, but I also desperately want to lose my face fat, arm fat and stomach fat as well. Do you know how many cals I should be eating and whether I should lose the weight first and then start lifting or can I do it at the same time? I want to start going back to the gym but I don’t know what I should be focusing on. I work in a camp so I would say that I’m lightly active during the day. Should I be calculate my macros with a lose 10%? It calculates 1541 calories with a normal protein intake of 89 grams, 200g carbs, and 43 grams of fat. Does that seem correct for my goals?

• Ted 11 months ago

Hi Raf, I think lose 10 is a good place for you to start and when you start weight training again use the high protein setting. Also, make sure you factor in your weight lifting exercise as well. On days you lift weights you’d most likely be moderately active.