Calculate your optimal macronutrient ratios based on your age, height, weight, gender, and activity level. Use your results with macro counting or flexible dieting to lose fat or gain muscle.

Want Results? Join over 8,000 successful clients using The Macro Solution

Each of the foods we eat are made up of three “macros” (macronutrients). These macros are carbohydrate (carbs), protein, and fat. Chicken is high in the protein macro but has no carbs. Rice is high in carbs, but very little fat or protein.

This calculator tells you the best ratio of macros that you should eat to achieve your goals. From there, you need to determine the macros of all the foods you eat. By counting them each day, you can reach a target that leads to fat loss.

If you need help, we publish some extensive guides here.

How Do You Calculate the Macros?

1. Protein ratio is set at .825 grams per pound of bodyweight but this can be adjusted depending on your individual stats and goals.

By default, the results are for maintaining weight. Select either lose or gain if you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. These are good starting points, but you may have to play around with your macros until you find your personal goal-reaching sweet spot. You can then count macros until you reach your desired goal.

If you need some inspiration, check out these incredible transformation stories of from people who used counting macros to reach their goals.

1. James 3 months ago

Sowhat is the time frame for 20% lose

You mean Lose 10%? There isn’t a timeframe. This is a slight reduction in calories to help people maintain muscle mass while still burning some fat. Macro counting is a medium/long term technique.

2. Samantha 3 months ago

Hi! This is a great site for calculating macros. However I am breastfeeding currently, how much P, F, C should I add to my numbers? Thanks!

3. Carmel 3 months ago

Hi, I am 51 and have been told i have adrenal fatigue. I am not sure where i shoukd sit with my macros, currently they are P 109 C 145 F 48. I am gluten, wheat intolerant too and it doesn’t seem to matter what I do, weight doesn’t shift.
    I am still working out but only doing easy swimming walking and few weights without raising cortisol or heart rate levels.
    Are these macros ok?
    Thanks

4. James 3 months ago

Hi Marya, we’ve seen your support ticket and will answer on there.

5. Mayra 3 months ago

Hello, I workout 4x a week would this be considered light or moderate ? Please help! Thank you

6. Sonia 3 months ago

I just tried the 16/8 intermittent fasting approach to weight loss and got zero results. I am a 65 year old female, do Crossfit 2-3/week, tennis 2/week and try to fit in yoga. I am ready to try this macro approach. Tips for success please! I found the fasting easy to do and am so disappointed that it did not yield results.

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Sonia, We have many articles on the subject that you should take the time to browse but one in particular is about making sure you are eating enough. Check that one out here.

7. Matilda Lindberg 3 months ago

Hi!

My goal is to get lean and fit body. I am a vegeterian so counting macros would also let me see that I am eating right amount of protein.

8. Kateri 3 months ago

I did set it to lose 10%

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Great, you should be all set then. Make sure on days that you don’t exercise that you eat at sedentary levels.

9. Martin Martinez 3 months ago

Hello im Martin i weigh 503 lbs and want to desperately lose weight for me first and secondly my family. Im lost dont know how to start this plan about macros!

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Martin, Great, glad you want to make a change. We have a lot of article on the subject on this site so I encourage you to take some time and read about the method. Also, we have a 130-page book, The Macro Solution, which takes you through the process step by step. It sounds like it would be extremely beneficial for you.

10. Kateri 3 months ago

I used this calculator on here to calculate my macros and it says that I should do 1828 calories per day and that my daily stats are below. Does this seem right? I’m 5’4 and 120 pounds, I want to lose a little fat and gain some lean muscle. I also work out 5 days a week on the norm and it’s cardio and weight training. Let me know!
    Carbs: 244g
    Protein: 99g
    Fat: 51g

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Did you set the calculator for a deficit? You’ll need to select at least “Lose 10” to cause fat loss.

11. Rafael 3 months ago

Hey I’m trying to loose weight and I’m 28 I weigh roughly 220lbs I’m 5’7I have a question on the micros calculator is the amount of protein, carbs,and fat after I put the numbers a daily intake?

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Rafael, Yes, it is a daily intake recommendation.

12. Yey 3 months ago

I’ve got a lot of information. That’s why I’v joined this website…

13. Naina Luthra 3 months ago

Hello Ted,

So I’m excited to say that I have lost little over 10lbs 😀 I think that’ll do it for me and I wouldn’t want to lose anymore lbs. I decided to punch in the numbers again to adjust my macros and used Maintain instead. I noticed, however, my protein intake is low compared to what i’ve been having (5’3”, 33, 131lbs, P108g, F48g, C219g) I selected high protein option. Does it look fine to you? I wasn’t sure if I should use maximum option as I don’t want to gain weight but I do instense workout for 3-4 days. Thanks for your time! You guys rock!!

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Naina, Great job! Glad we could help. It seems like 108 grams is pretty aligned with your estimated lean mass but you could increase the protein on days you do your workouts.

• Naina Luthra 3 months ago

Got it!! Thank you again!

14. sharo 3 months ago

hey!
    i’m working out 4 to 5 days a week to lose weight, i weight 216lbs i lost 55lbs so far and i wanted to know if that calculator result work for me or not?

15. Angelica 3 months ago

If you do 40 mins weight lifting and 20 mins cardio 3 to 4 days a week which category of exercise does it fall into. Thanks in advance!

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Angelica, Use our activity calculator to figure out your burn for each type and then add the two together and compare it to the descriptions above.

16. Chris 3 months ago

Hi ,

I’m working out 3 times a weeks for chest and arms, 3times a week for legs, what’s the best meal plan for me and I weight 140 lbs. Trying to gain more weight and muscle!

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Chris, You can use the calculator above and set it for “gain”. This puts you in a 20% calorie surplus. If you feel you are also gaining fat at that amount, you can set the calculator at “maintain” and then manually add 10% more calories. Set the protein at “Maximum”.

17. Theodor 3 months ago

I am doing weight training 5 times a week and not sure if you then could say that my activity level is “moderate” or “light” due to the fact that I am not doing any cardio training. Usually, each of gym sessions takes 1h- 2h (6-8 exercises, 3 sets, 12 reps). Furthermore, most of my time I am studying and during my leisure time I hang out with friends. So, except for working out 5 times a week, I am not active.

Thank you in advance for your answere!
    Best regards, Theodor

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Theodor, Usually that duration of weight training would be moderate. Weight training continues to use energy even after the activity is finished as your muscle tissue is broken down and repaired.

18. Lisa 4 months ago

I have been so frustrated calculating macros for every single formula gives me such a different result. My question is, would working out 5x for about 30 mins be considered moderate or light? I would highly appreciate the help!
    Im 5’2 standing at 118 lbs.

-A girl trying to lose 2% body fat while building muscle.

• Ted Kallmyer 4 months ago

Hi Lisa, First off, all calculators/formulas are giving you an “estimate” of your TDEE. Some are better than others and the formula we use is one of the most trusted. If you already have a low body fat percentage, you should use the “lean mass option”. Secondly, most of the time a 30-minute exercise session is considered light exercise. You probably also would want to use the “lose 10” setting based on your current weight and goals.

• Lisa 4 months ago

Im currently 22 % bf

19. Eugina 4 months ago

I want to loose 30 pounds

• Ted Kallmyer 4 months ago

You’ve come to the right place. Enter your details in the calculator above and it will tell you how much to eat to lose weight safely.