Ultimate Macro Calculator

This macro calculator shows your optimal macronutrients and calories based on your age, height, weight, gender, and activity level. Use your results with macro counting or flexible dieting/IIFYM to lose fat or gain muscle.

Want Results? Join over 10,000 successful clients using The Macro Solution

Why Macros are Important

The foods we eat are made up of three “macros” (macronutrients). These macros are carbohydrates (carbs), protein, and fat. Chicken is high in the protein macro but has no carbs. Rice is high in carbs, but very little fat or protein.

These 3 macronutrients (macros) are from which the human body obtains energy and raw materials for growth and repair.

What Are the Right Macros for You?

The right macros for you are based on your personal Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and goals.

Our macro calculator defaults at the best macro ratio that’s proven to work for the most number of people. You should achieve your goals using the default setting.

However, there is nothing wrong with adjusting this ratio if needed. Perhaps you’re an extreme endomorph and do better with fewer carbs. Or, perhaps you only have one kidney and need to eat less protein. You can adjust the macros to levels that are right for you personally with a little math, which is explained in detail here.

How to Calculate the Right Daily Protein Amount

Using the Macro Calculator to Calculate Daily Fat Amount

Fats are set at 30% of daily energy expenditure. This is a healthy moderate amount that most people do well with and is based on recommendations by nutritional guidelines.

When choosing foods that contain fat, focus on getting predominately healthy fats as part of that 30%.

Using the Calculator to Calculate the Right Carb Amount

After protein and fat are calculated, the calculator assigns the remainder of your calories as carbohydrates. This usually results in a moderate amount of carbs that are in the healthy range recommended for most people. Carbs fuel your body and workouts and are the body’s prefered energy source.

Many people coming from a “low carb” type of dieting may feel like this calculator calculates carbs on the high side. However, this is a moderate amount of carbs according to respected nutritional guidelines and the notion that carbs cause weight gain or prevent fat loss when eaten in relation to your TDEE has been debunked.

How the Calculator Adjusts Your TDEE Based on Your Goals

Daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is calculated from your age, gender, height, weight, and exercise output.

You can easily use the macro calculator to adjust your energy levels to lose fat, maintain your current weight, or gain muscle.

By default, the results are for losing weight. Select either lose or gain if you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. These are good starting points, but you may have to play around with your macros until you find your personal goal-reaching sweet spot. You can then count macros until you reach your desired goal.

Setting the Calculator for Weight Loss (Fat Loss)

• The Lose button puts you in a 20% calorie deficit which promotes safe, steady weight loss.
  • The Lose 10% button puts you in a 10% calorie deficit and is intended for those with less than 10 pounds to lose and who also wish to build muscle at the same time.

For Maintaining Your Current Weight

The Maintain button shows you the macro levels that will keep you at your current weight. This is good for people who have lost weight and who don’t want to gain the weight back.

Settings for Gaining Weight or Building Muscle

The Gain button puts you in a 20% calorie surplus and is designed for people who are wanting to build muscle fast in conjunction with a comprehensive weight training program. It can also be used by people who are underweight.

Some people may want to use the maintenance button and then gradually increase calories from there if they want their muscle gains to be lean.

How Do I Calculate My Daily Macros

By default, the results show the number of grams of each macronutrient you should eat each day. Simply make sure you have eaten those macro amounts by the end of the day.

How Do I Calculate My Macros for a Meal

Click on meal numbers to split this into a “per meal” basis for counting macros. For some people, this is easier, while for others it becomes too much to keep track of. Do what works for you. Either method is fine.

Setting Activity Level Accurately

Too much physical activity combined with low calories could lead to muscle catabolism (the breakdown of muscle fiber). This is not a good thing, and can actually stall your weight loss, so if you love to exercise, eat up!

Which App is Best for Tracking Macros?

After you have your personal macro calculations, you need to determine the macros in all the foods you eat. By tracking and counting them each day, you can reach your recommended macro targets that encourage fat loss, muscle gain, or whatever your goal may be.

While this may seem like a lot of work, there are some really good smartphone macro apps that do most of the work for you. We rank the best macro tracking apps here so you can get started tracking quickly.

You'll Love My Macro Solution Program

• Grundy, S. M. (1999). The optimal ratio of fat-to-carbohydrate in the diet. Annual review of nutrition, 19(1), 325-341. abstract
Last Updated: March 5, 2020

1. ELISA De León

Hi, I’m 50 years old my weigh is 107 pounds, I calculated the macros and I got 1,029. My question is how I know I eat exactly what I suppose to? Pls help is any way to have a calculator, formula, etc?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Elisa, We have all kinds of resources to help you with that. The best resource is our Book “The Macro Solution” because it takes you through the process step by step. We also have a lot of articles to help you. Here’s a good one to start with: How To Find Macro Amounts in Foods

2. Katy

Hi, I’m finding that in order to achieve my carb macro goal, I end up with a lot of sugar—most is natural from fruit, but is this okay?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Katy, Eating natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables is fine. It’s the added sugars that you should limit. Fruits and vegetables are providing sugar but they also have the fiber and micronutrients that your body needs.

3. Zoi

Can you count macros being vegan?…i weigh 150lbs 5’0in…50 years old female… can’t lose weight last three years

4. Anilvarma

Hi… I’m planning to gain weight my body every day doing Gym properly but as of now, I got shape only at present one more thing I need to inform to you my body is totally different if I eat more food also there is no difference. And here provided my measurements also weight 62kg and height 5feet 6 inches, age 27. kindly advise how much need to take everyday carbohydrate and protein and fat. which way to i can increase my body.

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Anilvarma, If you’re going to the gym, us the calculator and set it to gain. This will give you the breakdown of how many macros to eat. If this causes you to gain fat as well as muscle then, start cutting back. Gain increases your energy consumption by 20%.

5. Kristy

I’m 47 weigh 92 and I’m 5”1 how can I gain weight quickly but still keep my six pack abs I need to fill my jeans and tops the most

6. Erika

How much weight is expected to be lost per week with with the loose option?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Erika. At a 20% calorie deficit, you should lose 1-2 pounds per week.

7. Naina Luthra

Not sure if you got a chance to look at my message from few days ago. Here is what i had posted earlier

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Nania, No, sorry. I missed that one. There can be several reasons for a plateau but generally, it has to do with not having your TDEE calculated correctly. Macro ratios would have little to do with it. I could have a look at everything but this would have to be under my coaching services. Otherwise, it isn’t fair to those that are paying for me to help them with their customized macros/ and achieving their goals.

• Naina Luthra

Got it! Thank you

8. Jo Hinson

Is this net carbs?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Jo, It’s technically showing only the carbs that provide energy or net carbs, but for simplicity of tracking most people track total carbs.

9. Joselyn

I am 23 5’1 female , I workout 5 days a week for an hour or less . I do strength training, But I’m also a part time waitress . Are my macros correct? they’re 1440 cals or should they be higher?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Joselyn, Unfortunately, I can’t evaluate or calculate macros for you outside of signing up for one of my coaching options but it sounds like your exercise level would be moderate on days you waitress and workout.

10. Loraine Hansen

Hi Ted, I have lots of questions. The most pressing are these: I’m 56, female, fighting systemic lupus, inflammation, bloating. I’ve been eating/living Primal Blueprint/Keto for several years, to try to reduce fat and inflammation. I’ve been at a stand still for many months/years. My goals are simple, but my body is complicated. I don’t have any issues with living/eating this way, i.e., I love the foods/meals I eat, my exercise habits, it is sustainable. What I struggle with is results. My goals are to reduce fat, inflammation, bloating and to increase muscle, stamina, energy, strength. I don’t care much what the scales say, but I’m about 30 lb over what I think I should be and have about 30% body fat (guess). I need to find something that will work. Do you have experience with anything like this? Would this program be helpful for my goals, specifically reducing inflammation, bloating? I have figured my macros from your calculator, but am also interested in what you might advise (coaching). I don’t want to invest in yet another dead end. Having eaten low carb/high fat for years, the carb macros I’ve figure out alarm me. Protein: 165 grams x 4 = 660 calories — Fat: 81 grams x 9 = 729 calories — Carbs: 260.75 grams 1043 calories.
    Do you have any advice, or think you can help? Like I said, I’m complicated. Thanks.

Hi Loraine,

When it comes to weight loss, the most important factor is maintaining a safe calorie deficit. Even eating “keto” a calorie deficit must be maintained for weight loss to occur. If you like eating the keto way, that is fine and it may be beneficial inflammation-wise as long as you keep your triglycerides in balance. What you calculated above (2432 calories) would not be putting you in a calorie deficit so therefore would not promote fat loss. Try or Keto calculator and select “lose”.

• Loraine Hansen

Thanks for your quick reply. Those numbers were calculated using the formula on your website. Perhaps I didn’t understand how to do it? I don’t necessarily need to keep eating Keto. I’m not positive it’s helping with much of anything, to be honest. When I said low carb, using the Primal formula, that’s anywhere from 150 grams or less per day. Again, do you have experience helping someone with an inflammatory auto immune like I have? I’m starting counting macros today, using your formulas, but am wondering if signing up for coaching is a better option for me with the complications I have. I don’t want just fat loss, also looking to reduce inflammation, bloating and gain muscle strength. If you think you could help me reach my goals more specifically, I would like to sign up for coaching. I’m a self-starter and don’t need motivation. Just guidance and to be informed. I do like to do things right from the beginning.

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Loraine, I can coach you on losing fat and general nutrition but since I’m not a medical professional, my certification doesn’t permit me to give advice about or treat a medical condition. Perhaps just having me calculate optimal macros for you would suffice? Then you can put the numbers into action on your own.

11. Kristen

Hi Ted. Thanks for the tool. Have the formulas changed recently? I plugged in the same information awhile back, then entered them again today and am getting different percentages. Total calories is the same, as is total protein, but the macro % has changed from 44/31/25 to 39/31/30. I’ve triple checked all the data I entered and it’s the same as last time. Thank you.

• James

Great observation. Yes we did tweak the formula a few months ago. After much thought, and based on Ted’s work with hundreds of clients, we tweaked the fat macro up to 30% (from 25%). We found that these new macros a much easier for clients to follow, and still get the results!

12. Naina Luthra

Hope you’re doing well. So after losing 10lbs, i’m not seeing any further drop in my weight (current weight 134lbs). I have made sure to revise my macros but haven’t seen any success so far. Do you know what could be possibly wrong? It appears my body isn’t reacting to macros anymore. LOL!

13. Jaime

Hello Ted, which plan would not only provide personal macros, but also tailor a diet that aligns to health issues along with giving the right foods and measurements to meet those macros? Ex: how much rice to get to the amount of carbs per meal.

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Jamie, The advanced coaching option gives you access to our meal plan database that you can use to find meal plans that match your calories and macros. As far as health issues we have some vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free plans but it may not include your specific issues.

14. Yesenia

Ok so based on the information I typed in ..I need to eat 547 calories per meal, and when I scale my food it looks not enough to get me full.. I don’t know if I’m doing this right .. first I scaled my rice for carbs which the app tells me it suppose to be 57g, but I feel this amount is to small. Also my protein should be 38g but I still think my piece of chicken is to small .. am I doing something wrong?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Yesenia, No, you aren’t doing things quite right. Rice isn’t 100% carbs so you have to weigh an amount and then use a nutritional database to find out how many grams of carbs are in that particular portion of rice. This is explained in more detail here: How To Find Macro Amounts in Foods

15. David Stewart

Once you pay the fee associated with one of the three plans, how many plans for eating do you get?

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi David, Thanks for your interest. All coaching plans include customized macros and free adjustments as needed but only the full-service option gives you access to our meal plan database. The other two offer the meal plans that are found in the Macro Solution and the Meal Plan Bonus.

16. Diana

My intake says 1640, but I’m a breastfeeding mother so what should I really intake?

17. Amira Sami

How many grams of sugar should i eat if i’m at 1600 calories per day?

• Ted the Macro Coach

You should keep added refined sugars to a minimum but there’s no specific guideline for sugar. Many foods contain natural sugars (fruit) which are counted towards your carb allotment.

18. Marline

How do I work out macros for carb cycling. I track macros now and want to maintain.
    Thanks

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Marline, I think it’s best to eat more carbs when your body needs them and less when your body doesn’t. Therefore, your carbs should be higher on exercise days and lower on rest days. Randomly assigning high and low carb days doesn’t have any advantage and wouldn’t be based on any scientific evidence of its effectiveness.

19. Helio

Silly question: 300g carbo is the same than 300g of rice?
    I’m really confuse!
    Tks

• Ted the Macro Coach

Hi Helio, No, it is not. Rice is not 100% carbs. You need to use a nutritional database like MyFitnessPal to find the macronutrient breakdown of foods you are eating.