TDEE Calculator : Easily Calculate Your Daily Calorie Needs

Quick TDEE calculator

Use this TDEE calculator to quickly find your Total Daily Exercise Expenditure also known as your calorie needs.

Weight

Your TDEE is:

Not sure how to use this? Read on and find out!

Need Your TDEE calculated by an expert?

Let our certified nutritional specialist do all the work for you to get your weight loss TDEE calculation that takes into consideration all your lifestyle factors. Learn more here.

TDEE – The Science Behind Weight Loss

Every day your body burns a specific number of calories just by existing. This is known as your Basal Metabolic Rate. The BMR is based on your weight, height, and age. (Calculate your BMR here)

When you exercise or simply expend energy through physical activity, you burn additional calories. When you combine your BMR with the calories you burn through physical activity, you get your Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

This is what is known as your maintenance calories. If you eat this amount of calories you will maintain your weight.

So How Do I Lose Weight?

You lose weight by having a calorie deficit.

A calorie deficit is eating less than your body needs to maintain itself and thus creating a deficit. Ever had more bills than you had money? You had a financial deficit. A calorie deficit is having less energy than you need to stay the same weight.

Let’s say that based on your age, weight, and height your BMR is 1700 calories and through some physical activity you end up with a TDEE of 2300 calories. To maintain your weight you simply eat 2300 calories every day.

To gain weight you eat more than your TDEE and to lose weight you eat less.

Of course, you can also achieve a deficit through burning more calories through exercise.

Every effective diet I’ve come across, whether it’s high fat, low fat, high carb, low carb, uses a calorie deficit to achieve weight loss.

how many calories to eat

How Many Calories Are We Talking?

Technically you can eat nothing all day and achieve weight loss through having a calorie deficit.

Many “miracle diets” claim incredible results through eating specific magical foods or using unique protocols. Unfortunately many diets out there are nothing more than glorified Crash Diets. These diets put you into severe caloric deficit resulting in, yes weight loss (usually short-term), but they can also cause health complications and damage to your metabolism.

To avoid doing damage, the general recommendation I’ve found and used is 500 calories less than your TDEE. Some people advise more, but I’ve found that to be unnecessary.

Also, having any more than a 500 calorie deficit makes it likely that along with losing fat you will lose lean muscle, which is not ideal as lean muscle helps burn additional calories.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so at 500 calories a day you will lose a pound in a week. (See how much exercise burns a pound of fat here.)

Note that your body can become conditioned to the same repeated exercise. This can affect your TDEE (see more about this).

get started

How Do I Get Started?

I suggest that you use Macro Counting to accomplish the goal of creating a calorie deficit in order to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way.

Counting Macros (a.k.a. flexible dieting) is non-restrictive and allows you to eat all of your favorite foods as long as they fit within your TDEE and macro goals.

You could eat unhealthy foods and still achieve weight loss (as demonstrated by The Twinkie Diet). but weight loss and health are not mutually exclusive. My advice would be to fill the majority of your diet with fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and lean meats. This way you can feel great AND achieve weight loss.

We have a multitude of Macro tracking resources on this site, plus a comprehensive program that you can buy and get started straight away.

Don’t get bogged down by the latest and greatest research coming out of universities you’ve never heard of. All the conflicting diets and controversial advice from health gurus are enough to give anyone a headache.

Focus on your TDEE, which has proven time and time again, to be the most important tool for weight loss and getting healthier.

FAQs regarding your TDEE.

Does it Matter what you eat if you count calories?

Yes and no. Regarding weight loss, you can eat nothing but snack cakes or pizza and still lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit. (This has been proven by several studies.) But in regards to healthy body composition and overall good health, a balanced diet is recommended. This is why we recommend tracking macros as a way to ensure that you are getting enough of each macronutrient and in turn micronutrients from ensuring that you are eating plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit.

Does TDEE include exercise?

Yes, the TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure so it should be factored to include all the movement you do in a 24 hour period. Even if you are sedentary there is still movement factored in because you are still doing activity around the house, eating, showering, running errands, etc. Don’t confuse TDEE for your REE which is your energy expenditure if you simply laid in bed all day and did absolutely nothing.

How can I calculate my calorie needs/intake?

Calculating your TDEE using the calculator above is also calculating your calories. Your TDEE is an estimation of how many calories you need in one day. Once you have your calories calculated, you can focus on reducing your calories in a way that will help you reach your fat loss goals. calculating your TDEE is one of the best ways to calculate your calories.

Just remember that whatever you decide to eat – the above information is enough for the majority of the population to get started losing weight.

How do I calculate my BMR For weight gain?

Calculating your BMR (basal metabolic rate) really isn’t a useful measure. This measurement is the calories your body uses to function absent of all movement and even digestion. Since no human exists in that context, the more accurate measure is The TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which includes digestion and activity. Use your TDEE as the basis for calculating how much you should be eating for weight gain. Usually, adding 10% to your maintenance TDEE is a good starting place.

You'll Love My Macro Solution Program

Citations:

• Rising, R., Harper, I. T., Fontvielle, A. M., Ferraro, R. T., Spraul, M., & Ravussin, E. (1994). Determinants of total daily energy expenditure: variability in physical activity. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 59(4), 800-804. study link
  • Schulz, L. O., & Schoeller, D. A. (1994). A compilation of total daily energy expenditures and body weights in healthy adults. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 60(5), 676-681. study link
  • images 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Last Updated: September 26, 2019

1. Ash 1 month ago

Hi, I’m 29, female, weight 74kg and 155cm. My tdee says 1929 so I’ve been eating 1429 per day and burning around 300 calories per day from exercise. So that’s 800 deficit a day and 5600 per week. Am I doing this correctly?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 1 month ago

Hi Ash, It doesn’t look like it. It seems like you are factoring your exercise twice? My macro calculator is better for establishing the right weight loss TDEE. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

• Ash 1 month ago

So if I am eating 500 calories less per day than my maintenance it doesn’t count as deficit?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 1 month ago

It looks like you’re calculating your maintenance TDEE with activity already factored in. Given your stats, I’m seeing 1683 calories for sedentary maintenance.

2. H 1 month ago

Hi! Just came across this. Im 24, 5ft 1 and i’m 10 stone 6 (67kg). Ive been eating 1500 cals since april and lost no weight on the scale or physically. What am i doing wrong? Im burning 500 active cals about 4 times week.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 1 month ago

Hi H, have you ruled out any medical conditions like Thyroid issues? If so it seems like you should be more prices in your calculations. 4 days a week you should be eating more than you do when you don’t exercise. If you eat 1500 every day then your rest days may be canceling out your much of your deficit created on the 4 workout days.

3. Byron Arrington 2 months ago

I’m 230 looking to drop down to 190. Don’t really know what my macros should be or what I should be eating.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hey Byron, My macro calculator should give you a good estimate but if you need more personalized help, please reach out. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

4. Amy 2 months ago

Hi, I am 27 & I weight 95 pounds. I am trying to gain weight. It says my TDEE is 2000 calories. How much will I have to eat past this to gain weight?

5. Victoria 2 months ago

I’m a bit confused. My BMR is 1992 and my TDEE is 2089. And also get a whole different calorie number when I calculate my macros. Which one do I go by?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hi Victoria, I don’t know all your stats but I’m pretty certain your BMR isn’t 1992. If you have a lot of weight to lose, this will skew all calculations. BMR, REE, and TDEE. Fat tissue isn’t very metabolically active.

6. Justine 2 months ago

Hi Ted. I’m a 48 year old female with MS in a wheelchair. I’m not very active but my TDEE is 1466 calories. I’ve gone from 170 lbs to 130 lbs in 9 months. I’ve had some muscle atrophy and I’ve got a large belly (which I want to loose). I’ve lost weight on a high protein diet, low calorie diet. I need a hard reset. Thank you.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hi Justine, Great job on your efforts so far and it does seem like you need to moderate things a tad and eat a more nutritionally balanced diet as well as a less severe calorie deficit. This calculator is a good way to get started but do reach out if you feel you’d benefit from more personalized help.

7. Sam Singh 2 months ago

Hey I’m 18 258 pounds 6’1, I’m looking to start losing weight and hopefully getting abs in the future. I have a decent amount of muscle mass but a lot of stomach and upper chest fat. Any advice and what’s the fastest way. Ty

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hey Sam, The best way is the slow and steady way. It can be tempting to drastically cut calories or eliminate entire macro groups, but the most sustainable way is to reduce your food consumption sensibly and in a balanced manner. Head over to my macro calculator and do your weight loss calculations. Use the default “lose” setting which will deduct 20% for safe and steady weight loss that won’t sacrifice your muscle tissue. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

• sourav singh 2 months ago

I am 26yr old 5.10 height currently weight around 87-88 .
      I want to lose around 10-13kg weight .
      Please help as I don’t have much idea about Calories & all

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hey Sourav, Head over to my macro calculator Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator I also have meal plans and food lists to help you too.

8. HL 2 months ago

Hi!

Need your advice, im a 175cm male at 65.5 kg. 14% body fat for more than a month now. I want to lower my bf to 11-12% but also want to gain a bit of muscle and weight at 67-68kg. I am at a deficit, having 2300-2400 calories daily, 120g carbs, 180-200g protein, 130g fat. My TDDE is at 2445, workout 6 days a week and burns 800-1000 calories a day from exercise. Macro calculator says i need 250-300g carbs 140g protein and 93g fat to gain, but im afraid i might gain bf% instead. Also 80% if my food i cook and healthy. I eat junk about 20%. It seems like im stuck at 14% what am i doing wrong? thanks a lot, your website is very informative.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 2 months ago

Hi HL, You definitely need a few adjustments for your goals. Here’s a good resource that I’ve written that will put you on the right track. Macros for Gaining Muscle and Cutting Fat

9. Natalie 3 months ago

Hi Ted.
    I’m a 48 female, weigh 112kg. Walk 5km 3-4 times a week. No weight loss happening. I’ve been eating 1460-1500 calories. Am I eating too much too little. What should I be aiming for in calories.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 3 months ago

Hi Natalie, I know it can be frustrating when you are eating less and still not losing. I’d have to analyze everything before I could give you some recommendations. Here’s my coaching page: Personalized Macros Coaching

10. Jyothi 3 months ago

Hi Ted, I am 42 years old and have one daughter. I am 5”7 and weight 60kgs. Even after having a good BMI, I have a lot of fat in my abdominal area, lower back and waist, and cellulite on my thighs. I started intermittent fasting(16:8) and working out for 20 mins, 5 days a week. I’m only able to lose fat only from my face and upper body, which I don’t really want. How should I solve this problem? Could you please help me?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 3 months ago

Hi Jyothi, Unfortunately, spot fat reduction isn’t possible and fat leaves the body usually form extremities first and center last. You just have to be patient with the process.

11. Han 3 months ago

Hi. I am 30 and have had 3 children! I doing one – 2 workouts a day (either hiit & power yoga or strength building excersises currently from home without equipment & power yoga). I am vegan and have a healthy diet, with a nutritional shake for breakfast. My aim isnt to loose weight in terms of numbers on the scales, but I would like to lean out and build lean muscles. Your calculator says I should consumer just over 1800 calories a day!!! I currently dont count calories, but am aware roughly what is in food i make, and I dont think I eat anywhere near that amount, is that number of calories important? Or more getting enough protein ? Many thanks

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 3 months ago

Hi Han, Your Calorie intake determines weight loss or weight gain. Macros determine the type of weight loss ie. fat loss or muscle loss. If you want to lean out you’ll have to eat in a deficit. Therefore head over to my macro calculator for that. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

12. Kelly Mc 4 months ago

Hi Ted! I’m 34 years old and 5’4”. In mid May I was 163lbs and last week I weighed in at 153. I have been tracking calories (about 1200 per day (Per my doctor) with a cheat day on Friday) and cycling 4-5x per week burning about 500 calories per day. Everyday I’m creating a caloric deficit. This past week, I actually gained a pound. After reading this, I’m almost questioning my doctor and thinking 1200 calories might not be enough (I’ve also been advised to stay under 100 carbs per day-I’m usually around 60). I’m nervous to go above that though. I’m so afraid of gaining the weight back. Maybe I should try the zig zag method? My goal is to be around 140-145. Thanks for any input you may have!

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 4 months ago

Hi Kelly, Great job on your efforts so far and I agree with you, you need to be eating more on days you exercise. 1200 can be fine on sedentary days but you should have an exercise adjusted level. When you don’t, your body eventually starts slowing your metabolism to start compensating for the lack of energy. Use the calculations here or my calculator to establish safer levels that keep you in a 20% calorie deficit or less. I’ve seen this problem so many times with my clients and the solution is always to eat more. Many doctors are not skilled in the proper way to lose weight, unfortunately.

• Kelly Mc 3 months ago

Thank you so much! That makes a ton of sense! So if my goal is 1200 calories but I burn 700 do I need to eat all 1900 calories? Or can it be less, like 1600-1700?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 3 months ago

Hi Kelly, Use my macro calculator to set a safe deficit. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator Do a rest day set and an exercise day set.

• scottie herford 2 months ago

hi kelly have your hormonal health checked. they really determine everything outside of genes & epigene. cheers.

13. Maryam 4 months ago

Hey Ted, I’m 29 years old,and stand 172cm and 65 kg ,I work out 5 times per week for 60 min,and I do running 5 time per week for 45 mins(8 to 9 km), I want loss weight and loss belly fat,I want achieve to 60 kg,how many calories , protein,carb and fat amount per day I should eat a day?

14. Frank 5 months ago

Hey Ted,
    I’m 24 years old and stand 1,87 m and started lifting weights and going to the gym 4 times a week about a year ago now. When I started I was weighing 69kg, so I was very very thin. Now after about a year of consistence exercise and I guess predominantly good nutrition I managed to pack on some muscles and currently weigh around 82-83kg. Nevertheless, I also loaded up a bit of belly fat and love handles. A bioelectrical impedance analysis in November showed I had about 15% fat percentage. I still do to this day according to my scale (which may not be that precise).
    I really want to try to get rid of that fat.

Can you tell me whether I should try some sort of body recomposition or a straight cut?

And what exactly should I put in on Activity level when calculating the TDEE?
    If I’m not in the gym, which I am 4 times a week for about 90 to 120 minutes, I’m sitting at a desk or at home.

Have a nice day, Ted!

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 4 months ago

Hey Frank, Great job on putting on all that muscle! Head to my macro calculator and do “lose” which is a 20% cut for a few weeks. Calculate two sets on set for gym days and one set to use for rest days. At 20% you lose the fat but not sacrifice all that muscle that you worked so hard to build. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

15. Sakshi Pande 5 months ago

Hello, I’m 20 years old, female and I weigh 93 kgs. How many calories should I burn daily in order to achieve a 4 kg weight loss in a month? Also, should I consume 1500 calories as a rule or is it flexible? What if I only eat 1250? Since I’ve hypothyroidism, will that affect my weight loss goals? If so, how can i minimise the damage? Thanks.

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

Hi Sakshi, Head over to our macro calculator to determine a safe deficit. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator If you exercise, you don’t want to be in a severe deficit but you want to support your exercise with the right nutrition especially if you have a thyroid condition. Eating a healthy diet with moderate carbs coming from whole foods along with medication is the best way to manage thyroid health. All the best!

16. Robert Barker 5 months ago

Hey I’m 28, 5.11 and weight 86 kg, I wanner lose weight I belive I eat around 3000 Calories a day! But my job I do burn around 400-700 calories on every other. I am eating 2500 calories now but do I have to up that because I burn them calories at work? And i worked out I need 188g protein a day how do I even fit that much protein in a day?
    Any tips would help?
    Rob

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

Hi Robert, It seems like you’re overestimating how much your body needs daily. What do you do for a living and what are your workouts like? This is pretty common for guys to do especially as they age which is another factor that has to be considered.

17. Charlotte 5 months ago

Ok so I was just reading the nutrition labels on the bread, margarine and marmite (condiment) I have every day in sandwiches or toast, using the calculator on my iphone, and which order are you supposed to put the numbers in, because all the time before I just counted the bread calories and no more because I didn’t think the other ingredients were gonna be that much off, but when I multiply the calorie bread number just on its own with the amount that I have (around 8 slices, usually, don’t judge!) it comes up with 752, yet, when I start from the beginning and add the calories from the butter and marmite to the bread it comes up with a much lower number! What am I doing wrong?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

You have to add each thing separately. 8 slices of bread, the total amount or margarine used, and the total amount of Marmite used. For Marmite you can afford to estimate but you should be pretty exact with calorie-dense foods like Margarine or butter.

18. Charlotte 5 months ago

hi ted, i’m so sorry to keep on pestering you, but i was just wondering If you eat a lot of healthy stuff but also exceed your daily recommended sugar intake, will you still lose body fat?
    Because I eat a lot of healthy stuff, lots of meat, fish, chicken, pasta, bread (carbs, protein, fat etc etc etc) but I also do eat quite a bit of unhealthy stuff, I have been trying to cut down a bit during lockdown but my weight has always been fairly stable (I also spoke to a doctor recently and he said I didn’t need to lose much weight at all), my BMI is in the healthy range, I’m female, 5 foot 9 and around 11 stone 2. Even though I’m in the healthy weight category and I do eat a wide(ish) range of foods, I do have some slight belly and chin fat, that I think I wanna get rid of, so if you eat all the right macros but go over some of them, particularly the sugar and fat are the ones I’m worried about, will the body fat still go down? By the sounds of what my dr said I’m not at risk for any conditions like diabetes or anything like that?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

Hi Charlotte, One particular food or macro group doesn’t make you fat or keep you from losing fat and this myth has been disproven time after time. It’s about energy balance. If you want to lose fat then you need to be in a negative energy balance or a calorie deficit. This deficit doesn’t have to be severe as some people are led to believe. Just 10-20% is sufficient. Have a look at this calculator which will allow you to set a deficit. Flexible Dieting Macro Calculator

• Charlotte 5 months ago

I just meant like if you are in a calorie deficit but still eat some foods that are high in sugar, fat etc etc etc then will the body fat still come off?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

Yes, That’s right, “One particular food or macro group doesn’t make you fat or keep you from losing fat”

• Charlotte 5 months ago

Also could you explain to me how BMR works? I know it’s the amount of calories that you burn at rest, but if you are sedentary, you are still moving around the house and burning calories right? So do the calories burnt from that get included in the BMR? I’m so sorry for the incessant questions I just wanna make sure I’ve got it right

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

BMR isn’t the amount you burn at rest, that’s REE (resting energy expenditure). BMR is basal metabolic rate. It the amount of calories needed to perform vital functions only or if you were in a bed lying absolutely still and not digesting food. Because people don’t live this way, the more accurate measurement is your sedentary TDEE it’s your REE plus a general movement factor. Since people have movement throughout the day living life.

19. Navien Rajendren 5 months ago

Hye Ted,
    I wanted to lose belly fat and love handles especially at the mid section. I started to lift weight and running, yet cant see the different much. FYI, I have pectus excavatum (sunken chest). I reduced weight yet belly still big. Should I do more cardio to rid belly fat or just bulk with existing shape?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 5 months ago

Hi Navien, What’s your diet like? Are you eating in a calorie deficit?

20. Charlotte 6 months ago

Hi again Ted
    I was wondering, does cardio exercise help to build or at least maintain muscle mass? I was just scared of my BMR decreasing while I’m stuck indoors a lot of the time, but once this lockdown gets lifted a little bit I want to exercise a few more times a week than I did before in order to hopefully get fitter. I don’t want to be like a bodybuilder or anything like that, not necessarily after a flat belly either, but my muscles ache after I do exercises like swimming, horse riding and even walking so thought that could have been making me stronger?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 6 months ago

Cardio is typically pretty leg focused so it can keep leg muscles toned but I suggest that you add in some bodyweight exercises that focus on your upper body and core. There are a lot of great youtube workouts that can guide you.

• Charlotte 6 months ago

I’m not trying to build muscle or bodybuild or anything like that, I’m just a bit worried some of my muscle tone has dropped off during this lockdown, but when the lockdown drops I wanna still lose fat/keep fat off but keep the muscle tone that I have (if I have any just from the cardio I was doing before), so I guess I just keep exercising?

• Ted Kallmyer (Certified Macro Coach) 6 months ago

yes, keep moving and stay healthy.