Hearty Roasted Veggie Salad with Chicken
I discovered the awesomeness of roasted veggies during my time living in New Zealand. They love their roasted vegetables and these adorn many a delicious dish there.
Roasting vegetables isn’t a foreign concept in the States, but Kiwis roast them a little differently, which produces a caramelized, slightly crisp outside and a moist and soft inside.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy roasted veggies is on a green salad. They turn the salad into a hearty meal that will keep you satisfied for hours, all the while being packed with great nutrition.
My roasted veggie salad is pretty easy to make and here’s how.
This recipe serves 2-3 people depending on your appetite.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large beet root
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 medium skinless/boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small cucumber
- 6-8 cups of mixed green leaf lettuce
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cube the sweet potato with the skin on. Then wash, peel, and cube the beet root. In a bowl toss both with some of the olive oil, balsamic, thyme, and garlic salt.
- On a large parchment paper lined baking tray spread these evenly over the entire pan. Place in a 380° F (190° C) oven for about 75 minutes.
- Cut up the onion and red bell pepper into medium sized pieces. In the bowl, now toss these with some olive oil, balsamic, thyme, and garlic salt.
- On a large parchment paper lined baking tray, spread the onion and pepper pieces evenly over the entire pan. Place in the oven for the last 30 minutes of the sweet potato and beet root’s cooking time.
- While the veggies are roasting prepare the salad, cut the cucumber, and divide evenly over 2 or 3 large salad bowls.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and coat with a little olive oil and salt & pepper. Cook on a hot grill about 5 minutes on each side. When cooked cut the chicken into strips.
- When the veggies are roasted, divide them evenly over the beds of salad and then top each with the chicken strips.
- Serve with your favorite dressing. Works well with a balsamic vinaigrette, ranch, or even honey mustard.
As I said previously, you can experiment with different veggies, but here are some suggestions. Note that the roasting time of other veggies could vary.
- Red chilis
- Baby potatoes
- Butternut squash
- Acorn squash
*Also feel free to use a pan fried mild white fish instead of the grilled chicken.
Roasted Veggie Salad Nutrition
Per serving (based on 3 serves) without added dressing.
Total Calories: 323
- Protein: 23 grams
- Net Carbs: 28 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Fiber: 7.5 grams
Like this recipe? See my complete ever growing collection here.