Calculate your optimal macronutrient ratios based on your age, height, weight, gender, and activity level. Use your results with macro counting or flexible dieting to lose fat or gain muscle.

Want Results? Join over 8,000 successful clients using The Macro Solution

Each of the foods we eat are made up of three “macros” (macronutrients). These macros are carbohydrate (carbs), protein, and fat. Chicken is high in the protein macro but has no carbs. Rice is high in carbs, but very little fat or protein.

This calculator tells you the best ratio of macros that you should eat to achieve your goals. From there, you need to determine the macros of all the foods you eat. By counting them each day, you can reach a target that leads to fat loss.

If you need help, we publish some extensive guides here.

How Do You Calculate the Macros?

1. Protein ratio is set at .825 grams per pound of bodyweight but this can be adjusted depending on your individual stats and goals.

By default, the results are for maintaining weight. Select either lose or gain if you are trying to lose fat or gain muscle. These are good starting points, but you may have to play around with your macros until you find your personal goal-reaching sweet spot. You can then count macros until you reach your desired goal.

If you need some inspiration, check out these incredible transformation stories of from people who used counting macros to reach their goals.

1. Bridget Shinlever 3 months ago

Need to drop to 12 % body fat

2. Shilpa Sachdev 3 months ago

I calculated my macros but not sure if it should change on days that I don’t work out? I go to a crossfit gym and but not a pro as I have been doing this for year. I go 3-4 days a week. Thanks

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Shilpa, You have the best weight loss results if you eat according to how your body needs/uses energy. Therefore, on your rest days, you should eat at sedentary levels.

3. Ariana 3 months ago

I am trying to lose weight, but carbs are the highest goal, why is that? I though losing weight/fat meant eating less carbs.

• Ted Kallmyer 3 months ago

Hi Ariana, Losing weight means maintaining a calorie deficit. Some people do this by reducing their carb intake. I suggest you read this article about flexible dieting so that you can understand the concept the calculator is aligning with.

4. Rose 4 months ago

How do i calculate the macros with everyday food?

5. Jonathan valdez 4 months ago

So i got
    219 carb
    146pro
    55fat
    Around 161 to 165 pounds….. My question that for losing weight how much cardio do i do daily for burning fat… Talking in cals thanks greetins from texas

• Ted Kallmyer 4 months ago

How much exercise you do is based on your calculation. If you selected Moderately active then you would have to exercise enough to offset the difference between your TDEE for sedentary and your TDEE for moderately active. For example. If your sedentary weight loss TDEE is 1700 and your moderately active weight loss TDEE is 2200 you would do enough cardio to burn 500 calories.

6. Nicole 4 months ago

If in training for a marathon, I ran 20 miles, and burned 1700 cals on the run, would it work to add 1700 cals to sedentary calculation? Thanks!

7. Danniella 4 months ago

I want to flatten my belly which is happening but gain in my thighs and glutes… hope I calculated correctly. I work out 2 hours a day 4-5x a week. All weights and ab focused routines

• Angie Hildebrand 3 months ago

You will see better results if keep your workouts to about an hour a day, If you do a lot of leg exercises you will gain muscles in your legs and therefore they will get bigger. I find a lot of people try to spot train (workout the parts that have more fat) and end up making those parts bigger with muscles instead of making them smaller. The best way to lose size is to lose fat and train the parts that are lacking size to give you body shape.

• Angie Hildebrand 3 months ago

That being said don’t stop working out your legs altogehter… just don’t make it a main focus.

8. Naina 4 months ago

Hope you’re doing well. Now that the holidays are here I’m figuring out how I can stay track with my macros and still enjoy food with my family and friends. I wanted to ask you if I eat regular potatoes vs sweet potatoes or white bread vs wheat bread or a fried chicken etc but stay within my macros is that going to affect my weight? I’m visiting my parents for Xmas and New Years so you know what the drill is a lot of food, drinking, dinner outings etc so I just want to make sure I don’t mess up what I’ve achieved so far. I’ll be there for good amount of time. Any tips/ suggestions would be really appreciated.

• Ted Kallmyer 4 months ago

Hi Naina, As long as you stay within your calorie/macro guidelines switching to those less healthy foods won’t derail your progress. Try to find ways to exercise while you’re away and perhaps try to introduce your family to healthier cooking while you’re there. Perhaps cook a couple meals for the family. Happy Holidays!

• Naina 4 months ago

Got it! Yes, I do plan to workout there. Thanks for the response. Merry Xmas and happy holidays to you too 🙂

9. Damon 4 months ago

Hope I will gain more muscle

10. Kris Blankenship 5 months ago

What is the definition of “light” activity vs. moderate? I workout at Orangetheory 4x a week for an hour each class. So 30 mins of HIIT cardio, 30 mins of weights.

• Ted Kallmyer 5 months ago

Hi Kris, We have it defined in the article below the calculator. That should help make it more clear.

11. Alicia 5 months ago

I’ve been tracking my macros and the protein says to hit 111g and 154g carbs. I’m usually always over on protein and hit around 130 and my carbs are under 154 but my total calories are still at what they should be or a little under. Is this ok if I’m trying to loose weight?

• Alicia 5 months ago

Lose*

• Alicia 5 months ago

I do also want to gain muscle and I workout with dumbbells.

• Ted Kallmyer 5 months ago

Hi Alicia, There’s always some wiggle room when it comes to macro ratios and the calculator is giving you a good place to start but it’s not set in stone. If what you’re doing is working then keep doing it. If it’s not helping you reach your goals then you may have to adjust things.

12. Gail 5 months ago

What should my macros be if I’m
    59 years old 4”11” weight is 151 and at a sitting job?

• Ted Kallmyer 5 months ago

Hi Gail, plug your stats into the calculator and choose sedentary, low protein. The macro totals default by showing your daily totals but you can switch this to meals by clicking the number of meals you want it to divide your macros by.

13. Gail 5 months ago

On the macros is it at the end of the day you make sure your in range? Or is it every meal??!

14. Eleanor 5 months ago

Hi, I am a vegetarian who doesn’t have dairy either so find it hard to take in a good amount of protein each day. I sometimes have more eggs or a vegan protein shake but it’s never enough. I am 22, 5ft 6, 140lbs w/roughly 22% bf, do light exercise and want to lose weight as well as strengthen myself. The macros suggest I eat 219g carbs (49. 1%) 115g pro (25.9%) and 50g fat (25%), this is with protein set as normal. I’ve tried tracking macros before and find I only hit 10-12% protein on a regular day or 15-18% on days I really push for more protein. Do you have any advice for someone with a diet like mine to lose weight as well as gain strength and take in more protein? Thanks, Eleanor 🙂

15. Tara 5 months ago

Hi! At the normal protein setting, it says my carb goal is 42g per meal… my brain tells me that it’s a little too high… also, do veggies count as carbs?

• Ted Kallmyer 5 months ago

Hi Tara, Your brain is misleading you. Carbs in themselves do not cause weight gain or prevent weight loss when eaten in relation to your weight loss TDEE. Yes, veggies count towards your carb total and a little to your protein goal as well. A few veggies also have a bit of fat. Also, it’s better to divide your macros over 3 meals and 2 snacks so that you’re eating about 2-3 hours.

16. Devyn 6 months ago

How do you calculate for a breastfeeding mom. Baby is only 7 weeks and eats often

17. DJ 6 months ago

So is the goal to stay under your macros or hit that exact amount? I.e is the macros listed the maximum amount you should be getting or are they the daily aim

• Ted Kallmyer 6 months ago

Hi DJ, You goal is to hit your targets as closely as possible. We encourage people to try to be within 5 grams of your macro targets.

18. Naina 6 months ago

So as per your suggestion I was looking to readjust my macros in MFP after losing 10lbs. However, i soon realized that since i don’t have the premium version it doesn’t let me adjust my macros at 1% increment and therefore i need to round it of to the nearest 5% increment. By doing so my macros are still the same (40C,30P,30F) as before when I was 10lbs heavier. Is there a better way to adjust or represent it? If not, how do i ensure i continue losing weight?

• Ted Kallmyer 6 months ago

Hi Nania, with 10 pounds lost you won’t see that much difference in your macros. About 2-3 grams lower in carbs and protein and 1 gram lower in fat. Therefore, don’t stress over it and continue as is. Great job on the 10 pounds, that’s awesome!

• Naina 6 months ago

Thank you! 😊👏😊

19. BG 6 months ago

What if my activity varies day to day? 3 days I run 10km-20km (road and trail) 3 days I do strength work, and 1 or 2 days, I rest. so is it moderate? light?

• Ted Kallmyer 6 months ago

For people who have varying degrees of activity, often it’s a good strategy to use your sedentary TDEE as your base and then add in the calories burned by various exercises. This way you are eating better in tune with what your body needs on a given day. We show you how to set this up in MyFitnessPal here.